January 21, 2013

Inspired By Folk Art

"Cozy Winter Home" ACEO
One of the things I've been longing to do art-wise is to return to my folk art-style "roots." I don't have an art background... and much of my inspiration in starting to create came from folk art & outsider art.

I love...

...the colorfulness of folk art!

...the "use what you have" & "improvise as you go" ingenuity of folk art.
 
...the "nothing's perfect" and "somewhat wonky is OK" philosophy of art.

..."one of a kind" and "made entirely by hand" kinda art!

Back when my two sons were little & we spent many fun hours in our local library, I loved to hunt for books for myself filled with pictures of folk art, Amish quilts, cottage-style decorating & tales of flea marketing. As a budget-wise mom, I was drawn to the "design on a dime" philosophy I found within these books... Yes, this way of thinking really fit my lifestyle!

Well, many years later, I still love the same things!... rich colors, nubby & woven textures, repurposed materials, artful creations full of personality & originality, art made by hand that tells a unique story.

I hope that the art I create today reflects my love for the beauty of handmade!  

2 comments:

Nancy said...

I'm a huge fan of folk art, Patti! The art you're sharing here today is wonderful!...Nancy :o)

Patti Moore said...

Hi Nancy!... So good to find a friend who shares my love for folk art! I'm continually amazed at the imaginative & colorful pieces made when creative people make "something from nothing!"