May 3, 2021

Do Artists Blog Anymore???

 "Cat Loves Bird Loves Cat"

Long, long ago (January 1st, 2006 to be precise!) I started my very first blog. I called it Simple Blessings... an arty blog that gave me the opportunity to capture my everyday thoughts and feelings and illustrate them with my doodles. Really, it was the first place where I shared my art publicly... and that was a very BIG deal back then for this shy, introverted artist!

I learned a lot from that blog!... the value of telling my story, even the small seemingly insignificant things.... that I really DID like to write... that it was worth it to take the risk and put myself and my art "out there," even when it wasn't perfect. I "met" other art bloggers and for the first time, developed a sense of creative community. And I even learned a little bit of HTML too!

Eventually, I decided to stop posting in SimpleBlessings and I started the PholkartStudio blog instead. If I remember correctly, I ran into "technical difficulties" with the darker background and white type I'd used in my old blog. Another lesson for me on the blogging learning curve!

I can't say that I was a regular blogger back then... but I did post quite a lot whenever the mood struck over the years. And it always gave me JOY!

Fast forward to the present...

Instagram became the "next great thing" and it seemed like art bloggers were abandoning their blogs in favor of this very visual (and fun!) platform. I held off on jumping on the Instagram bandwagon for a while... but eventually I caved and hopped on Instagram too. And my blog was put aside and got very DUSTY!!!

But lately I've been feeling the pull to get back to blogging. I quit Facebook a while back (that' a whole 'nother story!) and Instagram just isn't feeding the writer in me. I guess I miss blogging... but I'm wondering...

Are there any Art Bloggers out there anymore???


I sure hope so, 'cause I'd really love to find them!


** The painting "Cat Loves Bird Loves Cat" was created by me. You can find other whimsical & quirky paintings like this one in my Etsy shop, PholkartStudio!

2 comments:

Artsy Craftery Design Studio said...

Hi Patti: I am still blogging after years of changes. Like you, I began a blog around 2006. Over the years it has morphed several times, beginning as Holland Paper & Decor Art to Sandi Holland Mixed Media to Living To Create to The Creative Seller. I bought a Blogger domain and now blog at http://www.Printaphoria.com . I met you online around that time and always admired your artwork and how you developed your own style that is easily recognizable.

I too have seen many creative blogs fall by the wayside. Handcrafting and art selling has changed over the years, in many ways not for the better. I've seen SO many selling venues go defunct. It's unbelievable. I think that when you love something, you find a way to keep doing it no matter how many others are doing it or not. I love blogging but at times I've struggled with the time and effort it takes to create content-rich posts. I HAVE whittled down my blog ideas to 1 blog. At one time I was trying to launch and manage 4-5. Insane, right? 😄

After I held out like you, I caved in to Instagram, stayed a few months and then left. It was intruding too much in my life. As you said, it was a lot of fun, especially as I became more proficient using a smartphone, but I was always trying to design that perfect pic, whether I was arting, crafting or eating. Whatever I was doing, all I could think about was getting that perfect pic to share life and products. I had read where this woman said she had given up Insta and other social media because she couldn't enjoy simple life without trying to get that perfect Insta pic. I realized it was happening to me and I had to get my life back.

I have enjoyed meeting all of the creative people over the years. I'm still on FBook but I closed my FBook business page. I do a minimum of occasional posting there and am members to a handful of groups. I never liked Twitter but my acct is still open, for the 3rd time. I spend most of my time at Pinterest. I have over 100 boards there.

My new Printaphoria site is crippling along. I closed my Printaphoria Etsy shop recently as I moved my listings to Payhip. Was not having a problem at Etsy and I didn't mind the fees. It was just time for me to have my listings under my control. I chose my Printaphoria name because I focus on creating printables and digitals now. I no longer create physical handmades and artwork to sell, just for personal use and gifts. I also design POD products at Zazzle.

Loving writing like I do I recently got some books published at Amazon/KDP. They are journals, no-content books, but I have some content books coming. As for blogging, I will continue. My new website is a combination arting, crafting, writing, cooking, gardening and decorating space. I need to change my banner to Printaphoria & More.

I was going through my very old list of Blogger blogs that I follow and came to yours. What wonderful memories it brought back! I am cutting my blog list of over 100 to just a few, as low as I can get it. I'm certainly deleting those who have not posted in years and there are quite a few of those.

So Patti, I'm happy to see that you are one of the ones who are still kicking.
Continued blessings and success to you,
Sandi
Artsy Craftery Design Studio

Patti Moore said...

Hi Sandi!

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog today! It sounds like we have a lot of art and blogging interests in common. It really IS amazing how so much has changed over the last ten years or so in the arts and crafts world, and also in social media! I'm doing my best to pick and choose what works for me... and not worrying about what other folks are doing! I think that's the happiest, healthiest way for me to be.

Best wishes with your art pursuits and your blogging!!
Patti